Belconnen Arts Centre is a place to celebrate and share stories, make memories and undertake creative journeys. We present a dynamic program throughout the centre across a range of arts practice where the work of emerging and established artists are applauded. Opportunities and experiences are gently threaded together through the artists’ exploration of space, sense of place, belonging and their relationship to the world around them.
Belconnen Arts Centre runs popular school holiday and term art programs for children from 2 years of age through to 14. The programs are tailored for each age and are engaging and relevant to their development and interests. To build on the success of our regular classes we are reaching out to our treasured educators to suggest new creative ways to use the resources that the Arts Centre can provide and facilitate, towards a rich and varied arts experience in schools. We want to help make it easier to give our children access to different arts experiences from visual arts through to dance. Some food for thought below, please feel free to contact us to talk through your needs and or ideas. We love to collaborate!
- Walk or catch a bus to the arts centre for a look at the exhibitions, a simple arts activity and a picnic.
- Ask us about developing a cost effective engaging arts activity which ties into a curriculum topic.
- Need an artist to run a course or class? ask us, we have access to many talented and experienced arts teachers.
- Walk or catch a bus to the centre for a yoga or dance class, we can organise a special class for your students.
- Get your school involved in our regular community activation projects – making and contributing to a community project is a wonderful experience regardless of age.
- Hire the dance studio or foyer for a school graduation.
Many Reasons Art Is Good For Kids (from www.heartsandbones.com)
- Art Teaches Problem Solving. Making art demonstrates that there can be multiple solutions to the same problem. Art expands our experience and encourages open-ended thinking that creates an environment of questions rather than answers.
- Art Prepares Kids for the Future. Creative, open-minded people are highly desired in all career paths.
- Art and creative education increases the future quality of the local and global community. Being creative is a lifelong skill that can be used in everyday situations.
- Art Generates a Love of Learning and Openness to New Ideas. Art develops a willingness to explore what has not existed before. Art teaches risk-taking and being open to possibilities. Art allows one to grow from making mistakes. Kids whose creativity is nurtured are curious and inspired to learn more.
- Art is Big Business. At the core of the multi-billion dollar film and video game industry are artists creating images and stories. Every commercial product is designed by artists from chairs to cars, space stations to iPods. A Van Gogh painting sold for $83 million.
- Art Develops the Whole Brain. Art strengthens focus and increases attention, develops hand-eye co-ordination, requires practice and strategic thinking, and involves interacting with the material world through different tools and art mediums.
- Art Improves Performance. Art builds self-esteem, increases motivation and student attendance, improves grades and communications, nurtures teamwork, and strengthens our relationship to the environment.
- Art Facilitates Emotional Intelligence. Art supports the expression of complex feelings that help kids feel better about themselves and helps them understand others by “seeing” what they have expressed and created. Art supports personal meaning in life, discovering joy in one’s own self, often being surprised, and then eliciting it in others.
- Art Builds Community. Art reaches across racial stereotypes, religious barriers, and socio-economic levels and prejudices. Seeing other cultures creative expression allows everyone to be more connected and less isolated. Art creates a sense of belonging: We can see how we are all related.
- Art Awakens the Senses. Art opens the heart and mind to possibilities and fuels the imagination. Art is a process of learning to create ourselves and experience the world in new ways. Arts support the bigger picture view of life: beauty, symbols, spirituality, storytelling, and helps us step out of time allowing one to be present in the moment. Art keeps the magic alive.
- Art is Eternal. Creativity and self-expression has always been essential to our humanity. Our earliest creative expressions were recorded in petroglyphs, cave paintings, and ancient sculptures. One of the first things kids do is play, draw, and use their imaginations.