Over 2019-2020, Belconnen Arts Centre will double in size, with a new black box theatre, galleries, cafe, resident company offices and rehearsal studio. These spaces will transform Belconnen Arts Centre into a true multi-arts hub with purpose-built spaces for development and performance of dance, theatre, circus and music. We’ll remain open throughout the construction program and continue to offer our diverse and exciting creative program.
Belconnen Arts Centre will be closed on Thursday 5 December 2019 due to construction works. All regularly occuring classes and workshops will be cancelled or postponed. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The story so far…
The story of Belconnen Arts Centre stretches back more than 20 years, to when a visionary community sought and secured land for a cultural centre on the spectacular banks of Lake Ginninderra, ensuring Belconnen Town Centre would have a creative community hub for generations to come. Stage 1 of an architecturally stunning Belconnen Arts Centre opened to the public in late 2009. Stage 2 was funded with a $15 million commitment by the ACT Government in 2017, and in 2018 PBS Building were announced as our builders.
This page is a one-stop-shop of up to date information that you may need to know, and we’ll update it whenever we find out new details. BAC’s design and construction timeline are subject to change; construction is expected to be completed by early 2020, with the expanded Belconnen Arts Centre celebrating its launch across the remainder of 2020. However, this could be affected by weather and other factors. During construction, BAC plans to adapt and develop aspects of its creative program both on and off-site. The completed Belconnen Arts Centre will do everything we can do now, and much more!
There is no public parking available on-site at Belconnen Arts Centre. However, there is plentiful parking nearby:
- Westfield Belconnen offers two hours free parking during the day and unlimited free parking after 6pm. It takes approximately 3-5 minutes to travel from Westfield Belconnen to Belconnen Arts Centre. For disability parking permit holders, Westfield offers 3 hours free parking; simply register here, present your permit to the concierge at Westfield for validation, and your extra free hour will automatically be applied whenever you enter the Westfield carpark. All paths have ramps and clearly marked pedestrian or traffic lighted crossings.
- There is also paid parking (free after 5:30pm and on weekends) across the road from BAC, behind Nature Conservation House.
- There is paid street parking (free after 5:30pm and on weekends) along Emu Bank.
- All paths from these parking areas have ramps and clearly marked pedestrian or traffic-lighted crossings.
- Our 2019 program of exhibitions will continue in the Main Gallery and Foyer Gallery, with a brilliant range of local and interstate artists and opportunities for the community to participate and share. Learn more here!
- During 2019, we will also be partnering to present exhibitions around Canberra as part of IGNITE: 7.
- The completed Arts Centre will have new gallery spaces, in addition to the current Foyer Gallery and Main Gallery will be improved.
- Please contact us with any enquiries regarding the Foyer Gallery in 2019.
- Impacts on the Foyer Gallery during construction are hard to predict at this time, but it will be a light-filled gallery space with additional moveable walls and lighting, connections directly into our other gallery spaces and to the café.
- The Meeting Room will remain unaffected and available for hire throughout Stage 2 construction works. You can learn more about hiring the Meeting Room here!
- The Dance Studio will remain unaffected and available for hire throughout the Stage 2 construction works. You can find out more about hiring the Dance Studio here!
- Access to the Creative Studios will be created via the existing Outdoor Gallery.
- Additional resident spaces will be added, including a performing arts resident office and rehearsal studio.
- We will continue to offer Dance for Wellbeing on-site at Belconnen Arts Centre & Tuggeranong Arts Centre.
- We will continue offering IGNITE: Alternative Arts Academy activities in our workshop and dance studios and we will expand our outreach activities to other centres and partner organisations.
- The completed Arts Centre will have a new café that connects with both the Foyer Gallery and Studio Theatre foyer, as well as the lakeside.
- There will be improved catering facilities available on-site.