NAIDOC in the North
“Because of Her, We Can…!”
Saturday 14 July > 11:00am – 3:00pm
Kingsford Smith School | 100 Starke Street, Holt
Please enter via Hardwick Crescent
After several wonderful years by the lake, Belconnen Arts Centre and our local partners are taking NAIDOC Week 2018 celebrations out into the North Canberra community! NAIDOC in the North will be a celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture through art & craft workshops, songs, stories, dance and ceremony, featuring free and fun activities for the whole family. This year, the community are coming together to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women – mothers, elders, grandmothers, aunties, sisters, daughters, colleagues and friends – and the often unacknowledged contributions they make to our lives. Because of her, we can…!
Local Performers >
Open Photographic Exhibition >
In recognition and celebration of this year’s NAIDOC theme, “Because of her, we can…!” we are inviting members of the community to acknowledge any of the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander women who have been an important part of their lives. These women may be mothers, elders, grandmothers, aunties, sisters, daughters, colleagues or friends.
We welcome entries from all ages and cultural backgrounds to submit a digital photograph of an influential Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander woman who has been important to you. They may be someone you admire, cherish or have helped you turn a corner in your life. They may have inspired, motivated, mentored or been there when you needed someone.
With each image, we ask you to explain why “Because of her, we can…!”
Entries are due by 4:00pm Friday 6 July 2018. All entries will be on display at Kingsford Smith School during the NAIDOC in the North celebrations, and online from 3:00pm Saturday 14 July 2018. If you have any questions or require further information, please contact Michele Grimston, NAIDOC Creative Producer at email@example.com. We look forward to receiving your entry!
• Individuals from throughout Australia may enter works.
• The image MUST be of an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander woman.
• You may enter up to a maximum of three images. Separate entry forms must be completed for each work.
• It is FREE to enter.
• All images must be accompanied by a completed statement, “Because of her, we can…!”
• Images must be in portrait orientation.
• There is no age limit for entrants.
• All images must have permission granted from the person whose photograph has been taken.
• All images must be high resolution (300dpi, 1MB) to enable printing for public exhibition and celebration. If the resolution quality is not high enough, the image will not be included in print; Belconnen Arts Centre reserves the right not to exhibit images.
• Images may be used online, in social media, promotional material and documentation.
• Entries must be received through the form below no later than 4:00pm Friday 6 July 2018. If you have any difficulties, please contact the centre directly.
Submit your image here
Proudly supported by >